Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #146: R.E.M. - ‘Document’ (1987)

Document is R.E.M.’s fifth album, but their first with producer Scott Litt. You can hear how important this addition is, with not only a fantastic sound overall (the album, released on the independent I.R.S. Records comes across like a major label release) but a more channelled direction.

Earlier R.E.M. albums sound to me like a random bunch of Michael Stipe’s poetry set to Peter Buck’s jangly guitar. Here, they sound like a fully fledged band, readily placed on the brink of mainstream crossover.

Hit: The One I Love

Hidden Gem: Finest Worksong

5 comments:

  1. I'd say that they were a fully fledged band by their second album. I was listening to Reckoning on the way to work this morning and I think that it's as good as anything they ever did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Reckoning but I can't listen to it - jangly nonsense. Perhaps I'm not hip enough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing wrong with jangly, but I don't think that Reckoning is all that jangly anyway. REM's career is full of good stuff, but can basically be reduced to two briliant albums: Reckoning and Automatic for the People. Automatic... being the better album of course, even if Don't Go Back to Rockville is their best song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Automatic is fantastic and then I'd go for - unpopular choice here - Monster. I think I'm the only person on earth who thinks Monster is any good. It must be the rocker in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not such a fan of Monster, I liked it at the time but I can take it or leave it now. It has some outstanding songs on it though. New Adventures in HiFi is pretty good too, but a bit overlong and a bit over similar - probably the last really good album they ever did. Although I haven't heard many of the albums they did after that, so I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete