Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #131: The Jam - ‘Snap!’ (1983)

Another greatest hits package purchased purely for its use in my DJ bag, this album takes me over the 100 hour mark on this blog. 100 hours of music - what a wonderful way to drown out the rest of life’s noises.

I’ve never been - and never will be - a fan of The Jam. I think this mainly stems from my dislike of Paul Weller, but as a band they’re more lyrical than musical (even though musically they’re fantastic) and that just doesn’t gel with me. With Weller’s scatter-gun lyrics, I always feel like I’m not in on the joke - he’ll cram a song with lyrics and I just get overwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong, I regard myself as being relatively literary - I always have a book or two on the go at any one time, and I’m not talking about Dan Brown or Fifty Shades Of Grey here - but when it comes to music, my ears are tuned to the sounds coming out of the instruments, not the words coming out of the singer’s mouth.

I can’t deny that there are some fantastic songs on this record. Going Underground, Town Called Malice, That’s Entertainment and the Beatles-stealing Start! are probably their biggest hits, and they would put a smile on my face any day of the week.

Hit: Town Called Malice

Hidden Gem: English Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment