Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #106: Dire Straits - ‘Making Movies’ (1980)

I’m as much a fan of minimalism as the next man, but I sincerely hope that the person who designed this album cover was fired immediately for being incredibly lazy. What an opportunity: to design something - a piece of art, even - that will be consumed by many people; and the best you can manage is a blank red cover with a blue edge which makes the album look like an office file.

Musos tend to dislike Dire Straits, and they have good reason to, as they’re the very definition of Dad Rock; but this album comes a whole five years before the global hit Brothers In Arms and it doesn’t have the disadvantage of sounding like it belongs in the 80s, like its successors commonly do.

Hit: Romeo And Juliet

Hidden Gem: Solid Rock

1 comment:

  1. I was a big fan of them in the 80s when my step dad got Alchemy. Man I loved that saxophone. I remember looking forward to Dire Straits most at Live Aid too. So I can say that I was into Dire Straits before Brothers in Arms. I hate that younger me.

    ReplyDelete