Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #91: Gloria Estefan - ‘Greatest Hits’ (1992)

I remember having a tape of Gloria Estefan songs that somebody gave me when I was in my first year of secondary school. It never seemed to make sense, and I guess that’s because ‘Oldham’ and ‘Latin Beat’ don’t really go together in the same sentence. This album should make a bit more sense now I’m no longer land-locked and living in a coastal environment, but I think it would only make sense if I drove a Ferrari and worked as a detective in Auckland Vice. That sounds like a TV series I hope they never make.

The upbeat stuff on this album is pretty good - especially the early Miami Sound Machine material - but the ballads could have been written and performed by anyone.

Hit: Rhythm Is Gonna Get You

Hidden Gem: Dr. Beat

No comments:

Post a Comment