Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #13: George Harrison - ‘All Things Must Pass’ (1970)

This is probably the most extravagant record in my collection - being the 2001 digitally remastered box-set. It’s a great album, and definitely the most 70’s rock-sounding of the debut albums by the three songwriting Beatles.

The first time I came across this album was when I was staying at my good friend Linsay’s house in Northern Ireland, and my other good friend, Kaj, and I were sleeping outside in the family caravan parked on the driveway. The only music we could find was the cassette album of All Things Must Pass, which we played all weekend, especially the jokey It’s Johnny’s Birthday­  - intended for John Lennon, but relevant to me also.

I don’t know what I like best - this, McCartney or
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - but it probably depends on what mood I’m in. This album sounds the biggest of the three, no doubt due to Phil Spector’s heavy involvement (although he also co-produced John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, he wasn’t around for a lot of those sessions, whereas you can hear his input all over this).

The ‘informal jams’ that make up the third disc of this triple album are largely pointless - and self-indulgent tossery - given that it feels more like a chance for George to show off his best-friend Eric, rather than to provide anything of substance.

It’s a shame that My Sweet Lord got a lot of undue attention because of its “similarity” to The Chiffons’ He’s So Fine. A shame because it’s practically the same song. Different instruments and different lyrics, but melodically identical.

Hit: My Sweet Lord

Hidden Gem: Wah-Wah

No comments:

Post a Comment