Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #34: Manic Street Preachers - ‘Know Your Enemy’ (2001)

I’m really pissed off with the record label for ripping off Manics fans with this record. Prior to this, each of their album releases on vinyl had been fine. Here, they cram 75 minutes onto a single disc. The result: a very low-fidelity and quiet album. It’s almost unlistenable. Generation Terrorists is just as long and that’s a double-LP.

I was a big Manics fan, probably up to this album. In their day - with Richey on board - they were fantastic, but something died in the band when he disappeared, and they lost their edge. Everything Must Go is a good album considering what they had just been through, but This is My Truth Tell Me Yours is just boring. This album is a bit more up-tempo than its predecessor, but mostly crap.

Know Your Enemy came out when I used to drive over to see my good friend Paul in Todmorden all the time, so it reminds me of making that long drive all the way from my parent’s house in Oldham.

Hit: Found That Soul

Hidden Gem: Miss Europa Disco Dancer

3 comments:

  1. They already lost me with the album before. I remember "If you tolerate this your children will be next" being really disappointing. Great song title, but quite a dull song. But the first three (and most of the fourth) albums are all really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That title should be the name of a Justin Bieber album...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But the other way around: "If your children tolerate this you will be next"

    ReplyDelete