Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #8: Rod Stewart - ‘Every Picture Tells A Story’ (1971)

I don’t know why I have this record in my collection. I certainly don’t remember buying it, and I don’t remember inheriting it. Presumably it was given to me. I mean, who would buy a Rod Stewart record, unless you were stuck for something to buy your Mum on Mother’s Day?


It’s a shame really, because Rod seems to have started off with good intentions. Lead singer with The Faces, lead vocals on that great Truth album by Jeff Beck (also in my collection), and then a solo a career which started off strongly and descended into
Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? Ugh, even the spelling of that song makes me want to vomit.


It’s odd that this is Stewart’s third solo album, but all five members of The Faces appear on the record.  Kind of pointless, if you ask me. There’s some very nice guitar work on this album though. Worth a listen just for that.


Hit: Maggie May


Hidden Gem: Amazing Grace

3 comments:

  1. When the Faces signed a record deal, the record company also signed Rod Stewart on a solo deal at the same time. So his early solo albums are Faces albums in all but name.
    But I'd go further and say why would you buy a Faces album? When they are good they are amazingly good, but even their best albums are only half good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe they should be renamed Rod Stewart & The Faeces?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrible thing to call Ron Wood

    ReplyDelete