Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #33: Dark Star - ‘Twenty Twenty Sound’ (1999)

I bought this during the time I used to DJ on Saturday nights at 38 Bar / The Castle, in Oldham. I remember this came out very close to the time that Muse’s first album came out and, to me at least, both bands sound very similar. At least Dark Star sound like the incarnation of Muse on their first album.

It’s odd - I had my money on both bands at the time, but when I think about it, I bought this on vinyl - not Muse’s Showbiz. Looking back, of the two records, Showbiz is the better album, although I would put Twenty Twenty Sound’s lead single I Am The Sun is just as good as anything on Showbiz.

It’s a shame that the band didn’t really go anywhere - I Am The Sun is a fantastic song, and the album was produced by Steve Lillywhite of all people. Wikipedia says they did a second album, but that it remains unreleased.

Hit: I Am The Sun

Hidden Gem: Vertigo

No comments:

Post a Comment