Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #9: Supertramp - ‘...famous last words...’ (1982)

I don’t mind a bit of Supertramp. They always remind of me of Princess Diana for some reason - probably because Roger Hodgson played at that big musical event held in her honour. Apparently she was a big fan.


What I like about Supertramp is that although they’re ridiculously mainstream and pop-sounding, they’re also very downbeat and melancholic. Some of their biggest hits have a real bittersweet streak running straight through them, and I like that.


I don’t remember buying this so I think it might have been something I “borrowed” from my Dad’s collection when I started buying vinyl. It’s not their greatest record - probably viewed as a let-down, coming after Breakfast In America (1979, but It’s Raining Again is a decent song, and is really the only song that comes close to the heavy hitters on its predecessor.


Hit: It’s Raining Again


Hidden Gem: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment