Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #35: The Rolling Stones - ‘Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)’ (1969)

Out of all the records in my collection, this is probably the worst in terms of condition. The actual disc is fine, but the sleeve - the original gatefold octagonal design - has completely fallen apart. On a normal gatefold album you’re going to get twelve inches of hinge - on this sleeve, because it’s octagonal, not square, the hinge is six inches long, and probably stopped being a hinge a very long time.

The thing is, I think I bought the record in this condition. I’m getting much better these days at only buying records where the sleeve is in as good a condition as the vinyl. I’m still not perfect, but I’m getting better. I should really have held out to try and find this in a better condition - although that would probably mean finding the record in the reissued standard square sleeve.

But my decision to buy this was probably influenced by the fact that I was DJing regularly at the time. And to have this record in your DJ bag is extremely useful. It has my four of my favourite Stones singles - Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Street Fighting Man and Let’s Spend The Night Together - all on one disc.

Hit: Jumpin’ Jack Flash

Hidden Gem: 2,0000 Light Years From Home

No comments:

Post a Comment