Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #45: U2 - ‘War’ (1983)

Alan Partridge: 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!".
Aidan Walsh: I really hate to do this to you, Alan, but it's actually a song about...
Paul Tool: Yeah, bloody Sunday is actually about a massacre in Derry in 1972.
Alan Partridge: A massacre? Ugh. I'm not playing that again.

I have four favourite U2 songs. Two of them are on this album. Both times I have seen U2 play live, I have been willing them to play Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year’s Day - and both times they’ve played both songs. My other two favourite songs are (Pride) In The Name Of Love, which they only played the first time I saw them, and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, which they only played the second time I saw them.

I really wish they had kept making albums like this and The Unforgettable Fire - they lost something (their sense of humour?) from The Joshua Tree onwards.

Hit: New Year’s Day

Hidden Gem: Drowning Man

1 comment:

  1. I haven't listened to this in a while, but it's always better than I remember it. I think that the Joshua Tree is alright - maybe because that was the current album when I first came across them. I'd say Rattle & Hum is the start of the rot, but even that has one or two decent songs on it. My main problem is that since about 1990, everything Bono does just makes me hate U2. It's even tainted the early stuff for me.

    ReplyDelete