Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #52: Metallica - ‘...And Justice For All’ (1988)

I first heard this when my good friend Russ put it onto a tape for me. I think I still have that somewhere actually. After hearing Metallica / The Black Album, Russ taped this for me and it put me off the band so much that it stopped me checking out their earlier stuff (especially their second and third albums which I eventually found to be fantastic).

This is a loooooong album, with some reaaaally long songs. One is clearly the centrepiece, and is probably one of the best rock singles of the late 1980s. Kirk Hammett’s guitar work, especially on the intro is superb, and shows off the melodic edge he would have picked up from taking guitar lessons from Joe Satriani in the mid-1980s.

I think the one thing that holds this album back is a very tinny, weak drum sound on certain songs. Take the opening song Blackened. When that ethereal intro gathers momentum and the drums come in, it should kick ass. Instead, it feels jokey and amateurish. The bass is also dialled down significantly on the album - something that angered newbie Jason Newsted, with reason, upon its release.

Hit: One

Hidden Gem: To Live Is To Die

No comments:

Post a Comment