Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #64: Bis - ‘New Transistor Heroes’ (1997)

I can understand why people don’t like Bis. I wouldn’t even argue about it. Manda Rin’s vocals are grating at best, but their saving grace is that they can write a decent pop song. However, I’m not a fan of this album.

I first caught them supporting Garbage in Manchester in 1995. I wasn’t too impressed - musically they sound okay, and they get a decent sound out of two guitars and a keyboard, but Manda’s vocals are just on the wrong side of the squealometer.

I remember being aware of Bis when I saw them support Garbage - most musos knew about them as a lot had been made of them being the first unsigned band to play Top Of The Pops (which is untrue). I definitely remember them playing Kandy Pop, which was the only song I knew them for, but they didn’t make me rush out and buy their records.

A couple of years later when I was at University, my good friends Robbie and Natalie introduced me to their second album, Social Dancing, which I still regard as an overlooked gem. I ended up meeting the band when they were touring that album, but I guess that story is best saved for another time.

Hit: Sweet Shop Avengerz

Hidden Gem: Tell It To The Kids

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing them in the Roadhouse supporting Super Furry Animals. They were amazingly good, but then I thought that they never lived up to the excitement after that. I have this album on cassette (!) so maybe I should give it another go. I also have their first two singles in the hand made sleeves. I'm hoping to sell them to some Japansese obsessives one day and buy a house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I saw them live - which was 4 or 5, I think - they were fantastic. But, yes, died a death is probably apt. Shame really.

    ReplyDelete