Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #63: The Doobie Brothers - ‘Toulouse Street’ (1972)

I love this album. I think there are better Doobie Brothers songs scattered on other albums, but for a full album that gels well from start to finish, this is the one. The sleeve also has titties, in the photo on the inner gatefold, and that’s always a bonus.

Not too long ago, I saw The Doobie Brothers play in Auckland - the Tom Johnston Doobie Brothers this is; thankfully Michael McDonald was nowhere in sight (or sound). I was so excited that they were touring - I remember being at work when the pre-sale email popped into my inbox. I didn’t even know they still existed, let alone were touring the world, so I snapped up tickets as quick as I could, and we found ourselves in the third row in the Civic Theatre.

Unfortunately, local TV evangelist Brian Tamaki was sat in the row in front of us, so you can’t have everything; but it was quite amusing when they played Jesus Is Just Alright from this album, and everybody started to point at him behind his back. Snigger.

Hit: Listen To The Music

Hidden Gem: Mamaloi

No comments:

Post a Comment