Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #74: Various Artists - ‘Air America (O.S.T.)’ (1990)

Of all the film soundtracks I have in my record collection, this is probably the film I’m least familiar with. I think I’ve only seen it once, and it doesn’t ever seem to be played on TV (well, not on New Zealand television at least).

I bought this as it has an Aerosmith song on it - a cover of The Doors’ Love me Two Times, presumably recorded during the Pump sessions.

The rest of the album isn’t bad - a random collection of pop rock mainly from the late sixties and early seventies. Aside from Do It Again by Steely Dan - which always sounds good - the real treasure on the album is Rescue Me - Fontella Bass’ 1965 single on Chess Records.

On a negative point, this album goes a long way to showcase how poorly made vinyl records were in the early 90s. On both sides, the run-in groove has been cut into the record incorrectly so that when you put the needle down it doesn’t actually run onto the first song - it’s just goes around in a circle without the songs starting. Idiots.

Hit: California Dreamin’ - The Mamas & The Papas

Hidden Gem: Rescue Me - Fontella Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment