Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #54: The Hives - ‘Your New Favourite Band’ (2001)

They weren’t my new favourite band when I bought this record, so they got that wrong. I seemed to have been buying a lot of contemporary stuff around 2000 and 2001 - a shame really as I could have been spending that money on older, time-proven classic albums. Instead I seem to have lots of albums like this in my collection. Albums where I’ve clearly bought the album because of one or two songs - and the rest of the songs fail to live up to those promises.

This album looks like a studio album, but it’s actually a compilation of sings from the band’s first two albums. Hate To Say I Told You So is a great song - but the rest of the album’s nowhere near as catchy. That’s the thing about garage rock - energy too commonly takes the place of melody.

Hit: Hate To Say I Told You So

Hidden Gem: The Hives Are Law, You Are Crime


No comments:

Post a Comment