Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #76: Otis Redding - ‘Live In Europe’ (1967)

In terms of music gifted to me, this has to be up there with the best of them. A birthday present from my good friend Moo, this is one of the gems of my record collection - a March 1967 recording of Otis Redding, backed by Booker T. & The M.G.’s, in Paris. The record was released in December of that same year, exactly five months before his death, making this the last Otis Redding release while he was still alive.

I think the reason I like this album so much is that it’s two of my favourite Stax artists - Otis and Booker T. & The M.G.’s - all for the price of one. It’s like that time I went to see AC/DC and The Wildhearts were the support band.

Hit: Try A Little Tenderness

Hidden Gem: Day Tripper

2 comments:

  1. Happy to have been of service. Didn't I get you a Hot Tuna record at the same time? Bet that was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. I must give that another play!

    ReplyDelete