Welcome to Vinyl Stylus, a blog about good music, and what makes music good.

Here, you'll find Rocks In The Attic - a disc by disc journey through my entire vinyl collection.

In a world full of TV talent shows, greatest hits CDs and manufactured pop, take a stroll through something that's good for your ears and good for your soul.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Rocks In The Attic #73: Badly Drawn Boy - ‘The Hour Of Bewilerbeast’ (2000)

I usually remove stickers from the cover of records. Most of the time it’s easy - especially if it’s a brand-new record - but sometimes it can cause more damage than keeping it on there. I’ve brought many records home from second-hand vinyl shops, and tried to remove a sticker that’s probably been on the cover for 15 or 20 years, only to pull off a huge chunk of the cover in the process.

There is a sticker on the front cover of my vinyl copy of this album that I’ve left on there. It is a HMV sticker, and alongside the price (£9.99) and the barcode, is my name in block capitals (MR J ANDREWS), the phone number of my parents’ house, and the date of sale (19/07/00).

This was given to me as a birthday gift by the lead singer in the band I was playing in at the time, and he had to order it into HMV Oldham, as they didn’t usually stock vinyl, hence the sticker.

I have to say I was pretty let down by this album. There was a lot of buzz around Badly Drawn Boy at the time, and I already had one of his early EPs - EP3, I think. This album was set to be an instant masterpiece, but it’s very disjointed. Later, Damon Gough said that he panicked when he got into the studio, and recorded a load of bits and pieces he didn’t plan. It sounds like it. I’d take those first three EPs - plus the It Came From The Ground single - over this album any day.

Hit: Once Around The Block

Hidden Gem: Disillusion

2 comments:

  1. I really like this album. I think that it's his best. Born in the UK was pretty good, if you like people hero worshipping Springsteen. But I agree, he never lived up to the hype he was generated.
    I once went to a New Year's night somewhere on Deansgate where BDB was DJing just before releasing his three eps. Worst DJ experience ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have his soundtrack to About A Boy - which I absolutely love, and would place over this - but I haven't heard any of his others. Heard most of his singles over the years and his lyrics just seem to have become more 'sixth form'.

    ReplyDelete